Why oh why is it the small simple jobs turn into bigger jobs or as we like to call them, learning experiences!!! Well Saturday afternoon was our day for “we can just….” into an oh @$$&** moment.
We had changed our battery a couple of months ago, a lovely job that requires the power steering pump to be removed from the front of the head (all pipes can be left in place – just need to “balance” the pump between the strut and cam cover!!) to actually stand a chance of getting the battery out and the new one in. New one was slightly larger so a bit of a squeeze and cajole but in it went, and the pump was put back into place.
So all good I hear you say and yes it was, one slight irritation was that when the wheel was turned to full lock we did get a bit of a squeal from the belt so mental note to tighten when we had a spare 5 mins.
So the spare 5 mins arrived on Saturday afternoon, just slacken off the 3 bolts, pull the pump up to get a bit more tension on the belt and tighten up the bolts again – easy!!
Not quite, bolt number 2 (the one nicely hidden under the bracket) was tightening up ok until…… snap – and the socket was no longer gripping anything. The bolt head was on the floor under the car leaving the thread in the hole.
After a few choice words that shall not be mentioned, the pump was removed to assess the damage, the remains of the bolt was in the hole nice and flush with the surface of the surrounding head. So we looked at each other – how do we get that out!!???
So only 2 courses of action, one ring the very clever men in our club, who’s knowledge of all things Stag is way beyond ours (although we are learning – case in point now, this is a learning opportunity!!) and say HELP!! and two, google it – a couple of good videos out there about just such a problem.
So the Stag men have a few ideas of what we may have to do and what we are going to need to extract the offending object.
The simplest of all if it will work is using a left hand thread drill, or a special extracting tool – sometimes known as an “easy out”, this should twist the bolt counter clockwise and so it should come out. If it doesn’t want to shift then we will need to drill it out and re-thread the hole. As we currently do not have the correct tools for the job we are going to borrow some but its also a really good excuse to go shopping (thats when the girlie part comes out – except its tools for me not handbags or shoes!!!).
Sunday was spent getting more advice and picking up said tools, then it was time to put the advice into practice and remove that bolt!
So we started by making a small indent as close to the centre of the bolt, this was done using a centre punch and will give the pilot drill a place to start and grip.
Next was drilling slowly and carefully a pilot hole in the centre, this will give the extraction tool a place to start and grip. Due to the lack of space a “normal” drill wouldn’t fit so we found this cool little attachment for the drill that lets you drill at right angles!!!
Once the pilot hole was done, we took the smallest extractor from the kit, we were advised not to use it in the drill but to use a manual holder and do the next bit by hand so we can feel if it is going to turn. The main reason for this is that if this breaks and stays in the bolt as they are made of very hard steel it will then be very difficult to drill out.
So slowly and gently we twisted (anti-clockwise!!) and quite unexpectedly and much easier than we had thought the bolt started to turn and come out!!! Amazing – our first shearing and then extraction has gone better than we had hoped.
We may have lost our head but thanks to the knowledge of fellow members we extracted and our pump is now back in place.
till next time….
P.S Results of the shopping trip – except the drill had that already!
PLEASE NOTE – these are NOT instructions on how to undertake this job just some pics and words of our experiences, always consult professionals when undertaking any repairs or restorations. (please refer to the disclaimer on our about page)